Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Captruing raw ethernet bytes or packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:26:06 -0700

On Oct 30, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Joe G (Home) wrote:

I use my own ethernet protocol. can I use Wireshark to capture the raw
bytes and ethernet packets not an standard ethernet packet?

What do you mean by "[your] own Ethernet protocol"? Do you mean that the frames you send out over Ethernet don't start with a standard Ethernet header (6 octets of destination address, 6 octets of source address, 2 octets of type/length field)? Or do you mean that they *do* start with a standard Ethernet header, and you're running your own protocol *on top of* a standard Ethernet header with a type field, or a standard Ethernet header with a length field and with a standard 802.2 LLC header (and possibly a SNAP header)?