Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Network protocol analyzer version 1.0.3

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:42:55 -0700
(Developer list removed - this isn't a developer question.)

On Oct 27, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Madhukar Mazire wrote:

Hello Brenda,

I have the wireshark analyzer installed on my laptop, when I start to capture interface packets, It shows me my entire network/subnet desktop packets, which are not belongs to my ip also.

My pc ip is 10.173.202.34 but you can see the other desktop traffic also. Can you please help me why this is happening?

What type of network are you on?

Wireshark turns on "promiscuous mode" by default, which means that if it's a "broadcast" network, such as a (non-switched) Ethernet or a (non-password-protected-and-encrypted) 802.11 network, you'll see all packets on the network, not just broadcast packets, multicast packets, and unicast packets sent to or from your machine.