Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Mergecap Questions

From: "Moran, Brian" <Brian.Moran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:09:11 -0700

Hello, not sure if this is the place for mergecap questions –

When I run mergecap sometimes I receive the error:

mergecap: Error reading probex_66159_20091014100306.pcap: Less data was read than was expected

I run 500 file 50MB ring buffers on a dumpcap probe, and do a batch copy at midnight to another file server of the whole ring, so I am suspecting that this particular file was copied while the dumpcap probe was writing to the file?

Is there a way around this? I can simply delete the file and merge the rest – but then that means I have to wake up in the middle of the night to babysit the process.

Also, is there a way to run mergecap in more than one thread? I run it on a Win2k8-64 server and it shows 1 thread @ 25% CPU and was wondering if there is a way to make utilize more.