Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] promiscuous capture on Mac OS X shows different 802.11 rat

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:01:42 -0700

On Oct 11, 2009, at 4:49 PM, George Nychis wrote:

This could be an interesting scenario, that you may choose to not help
me with, but it's a hackintosh.

Well, my next suggestion would have been to file a bug through Apple Developer Connection, but the sound of your bug being closed would probably be a sonic boom if you're doing this on a hackintosh.

It's 10.6.1 and I'm using an Atheros 5212 card. I can help dig up some more information about the driver
if you give me some pointers for it.

If it's Apple's driver, the bug may exist on real Macs as well; I'll see if I can reproduce it (but I can't make any guarantees as to how soon I'll be able to do that). Given that it's on outgoing packets, it's probably not hardware-dependent (the driver hands outgoing packets to BPF before it hands them to the device).

If it's not Apple's driver, you'll have to complain to whichever hackintosh developer did the driver.