Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] OpenBSD enc0 capture from tcpdump failes to decode

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:19:48 -0700

On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Brad Guillory wrote:

Making this change and recompiling works with unmodified capture
files.  Does the final solution need to be done here: ./epan/
dissectors/packet-enc.c?

No - no packet-XXX.c file knows about pcap link-layer types (well, other than packet-ppi.c, but that's because the packet "data" includes a header with a pcap link-layer type), they know about Wireshark's internal encapsulation types (because Wireshark reads non-pcap files as well).

It seems to me that if we make the change above it might break
something for someone.

Yes, it'll break something for people trying to read BSD/OS RFC 1483- encapsulated ATM files on BSD/OS, if there are any of them left. :-)

I guess we could replace that code with

#if defined(DLT_ATM_RFC1483) && (DLT_ATM_RFC1483 == 13)
	{ 13,		WTAP_ENCAP_ATM_RFC1483 },
#else
	{ 13,		WTAP_ENCAP_ENC },
#endif

so that it still as before for people trying to read BSD/OS RFC 1483- encapsulated ATM files on BSD/OS and treats 13 as meaning "OpenBSD IPsec encapsulation" everywhere else - it's not as if it handled BSD/ OS SLIP on any platforms, so it's not as if we break that.