Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Throughput supervision using Wireshark?

From: Reinhold Reul <Reinhold.Reul@xxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:56:08 +0200
Title: Throughput supervision using Wireshark?

Hi,
I need to verify ethernet throughput stability on a mechanically & electrically "stressed" connection of 2 hosts connected through any of 1 router/hub/switch, nothing else connected. Thought of "pinging" periodically, as I understand ping checks sequence numbers (but not actually the data content?) and informs about lost packets, thus providing a basic metric for throughput.

I wonder how a pinging computer with installed wireshark (filters) could be set up to trigger on problems (retransmissions, excessive roundtrip time, etc). Any proposals? Know a better (free) tool for throughput supervision?

/Reinhold