Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark decode complaining about Malfromed packet - (bogus,

From: "Ramji Vaithianathan (rvaithia)" <rvaithia@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:50:00 -0700
Hi,

I was trying to capturing DNS packets using Wireshark, and it gave errors about bogus payload length.

For example in the Frame 23 in the dump:

  IP length is 324 bytes
  UDP length is 304 bytes

However there is a complaint about bogus payload length 49 : Bad length value 304 > IP payload length

Any idea why this is coming eventhough the entire packet was captured.  The bytes beyond 49 bytes in the payload are treated as Ethernet trailer packets.

Thanks,

Ramji