Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] OSX packaging lacks SNMP MIBs - was Need installation help

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:47:23 +1000
Hi,

This seems to be a well-known bug - http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200903/msg00061.html

I also heard about at a computer user's group meeting I presented a Wireshark tutorial at - a hapless OSX user ran up to me during the presentation with his MacBook showing me the issue.

Unless you are expecting to decode SNMP (and from your post you probably don't if you don't know what it a MIB is) you don't need to worry. MIB files are needed to convert SNMP OIDs (which are numbers) into text descriptions.

Rather than cross-posting to the dev list I am hoping that a OSX package maintainer might have a look at this as it seems to fairly scary issue to Wireshark newbies that happen to want to run it on OSX.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx