Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] FTP analysis

From: "Phillips, Christopher M" <cmphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:10:16 +0100

Sounds like active/passive FTP problem.

Windows FTP uses active mode by default.

Active mode can often have trouble working through firewalls/routers.

When you have connected to the ftp site type the command ‘literal pasv’ which should switch the client into passive mode.

To make permanent default see here:

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/novellgroupwise/ht/setpassiveftpie.htm

Better still use a decent ftp client like filezilla

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Also remember if your not using sftp or scp the traffic or the password to the ftp site is not encrypted……

-Chris