Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] MATE "Character Chop Off"

From: David Bryant <miata5860@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:59:55 -0400
I'm attempting to run some of the sample MATE files with version 1.0.6 on Red Hat linux 4.5, and continue to get a seemingly inane error.  The tcp.mate and h323.mate examples work.  The sip.mate example, or any of the example mate files that use the "Action="" syntax, return the error:

MATE: failed to configue!  (yes there is no "r")
It is recommended (etc., etc.)
The reported error is:
<path>/sip.mate at line 1: Syntax Error before ction

The parser appears to be skipping the first letter in the file "A", which is definitely in the file.  After the error is output, the "A", or whatever happens to be the first character in the file, is printed to standard out/error with no carriage return.  The same thing happens with wireshark or tshark.  I've tried adding leading spaces and lines, and have even resorted to stepping through the software in gdb, with no luck.

I've read the on-line documentation to see if there was a build or configuration step I was missing.  I'm probably doing something dumb.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

DHB