Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Unexpected/Strange behavior of my wireless network adapter

From: "Youssef Serhal" <joeserhal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 04:38:26 -0500
Hey guyz,

I'm working oa project where I'm streaming video, using RTP packets,
from mobile devices to a server through an ad-hoc network and I have
noticed something really strange: using a external USB adapter, the
Wireshark analysis of the stream captured does not report any RTP packet
drop. However, when I switch to my laptop's internal network adapter, I
notice that there is a significant number ofpackets "dropped" (at least
not appearing in the Capture report).
I know that they are being sent from the client devices (according to
logs) but they are not reaching their destination for some reason.

I was wondering whether any of you guyz might know why is this
happening...I thought that maybe the kernel's UDP buffer size is too
small, but then how would you explain that there's no drop when using
the external (USB) wireless adapter...

Can it be that the USB network card might have a larger buffer than the
internal one and hence can accomodate more incoming packets. The
scenarios in both cases (USB adapter and internalone) are exactly the
same.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

--
  Youssef Serhal
  joeserhal@xxxxxxxxxxx