Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark-users] need to find what blocks icmp

From: "Phillips, Christopher M" <cmphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:56:11 +0100
Title: Wireshark-users] need to find what blocks icmp

Few questions:

1: Are the pc’s connected via the linksys using cables or wireless?

2: Are the ip address given out using dhcp from the linksys?

3: Given question 2 did you use a cross over cable when connecting the pcs directly and set a static ip?

4: Can both pcs access the internet?

5: Is this is Wireshark mailing list ^_^?

To fix this on each machine do the following:

            Connect both pcs to the linksys

Although preferably connect to a cheap hub/switch which in turn is connected to the linksys which will also give better performance between the pcs.

 Uninstall (in control panel add remove programs) your firewalls (you don’t need one on the desktop anyway in a DMZ).

            Remove any antivirus programs.

            Download and run Winsockfix (This will reset things incase another firewall did not remove itself correctly, it will also break any current ones hence the uninstall firewall first).

http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

            Check the contents of make sure nothing but localhost entries:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam

Control panel->network connections->Local Area Connection

Make sure “File and Print Sharing” is Ticked

TCP/IP Enter the ip address statically something out of the dhcp range say 192.168.1.50 on one and 192.168.1.60 on the other.

Enter subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gw 192.168.1.1, DNS 192.168.1.1

Click advanced (may have to apply then reenter the menu).

Make sure Internet connection sharing is off .

Click windows firewall settings check is off.

Hit ok couple of times.

Now Control Panel->System->Computer Name

Both pcs should be part of a workgroup NOT a domain.

If the workgroup is not the same click Change and chose a short workgroup name. My preference “LOCAL”

Make a note of the computer name (must be unique!) and/or change it too.

Reboot.

Once you rebooted then test ping by the ipaddress set.

If that works then try

\\192.168.1.50\

If that works then try \\computer name\

If all is good set the connections back to DHCP.

Reboot

Now ping by name it should resolve your current IP ok.

If that works install your antivirus on both pcs and the firewall on the laptop.

Retest.

            With XP its much easier with file sharing to have the same login name/password on both pcs.

            Any other problems remaining may be caused by left over group polices set if one or both of the pcs were part of a domain at some point.

Hope that helps.

            Chris