Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Checksum incorrect on the IP layer on RTP packets

From: Boaz Galil <boaz20@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:36:30 +0300

Checksum error in the IP layer on RTP packet

Dear experts,

Please consider the following scenario:

Computer A streams RTP packets to Computer B.

I have set up wire shark on both computer A and computer B.    The packet capture that I collected from computer A  (filtered for RTP packets) showed me that each packet has “incorrect checksum” on the IP level on all the RTP packets.  The packet capture that I collected from computer B showed me “correct checksum” on all the RTP packets.

Can someone please explain me what I am observing here and how could it be possible that on one side the checksum is Incorrect (the sender side) and on the second side (the receiver side) the checksum is correct?

Thanks in advance,

Boaz Galil.

--
Boaz.