Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] known problem? OSX and the "Utilities"-Folder...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:00:22 -0700

On Aug 7, 2009, at 8:59 AM, oizo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

First, for the non-OSX User:
If you want to install an application in OSX, you only have to drag
the binary file into your "Application"-folder - thats all..
But installing wireshark with this technique could get you in some
trouble.
The problem is that there is a folder in the .dmg installation package
named "utilities".
If you drag this folder into your "applications"-folder you are
overwriting an existing system-folder which is also named "utilities"...

You're not supposed to do that.  The Read me first file says:

	1. Drag the Wireshark icon onto to the Applications alias.
	2. Open the Utilities folder.
3. Drag the contents of the Command Line folder to $HOME/bin, /usr/ local/bin, /opt/wireshark/bin or any other location that makes sense (preferably one that's in your PATH). 4. You will probably need to adjust the permissions of /dev/bpf* in order to capture. You can do this by hand or by dragging the ChmodBPF folder onto the StartupItems alias.

However, perhaps we should rename the Utilities folder to some other name.

Now i have to do a new OSX Install to get my "Utilities" folder back :(

There isn't a copy of the old Utilities folder in the Trash?