Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [HELP] How to send bytes to wireshark on runtime

From: Satish Chandra <satishchandracms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:13:56 +0530
Hi,

I above examples it is said that wireshark can read the pcap file from the pipe. The problem with me is I am receiving hex bytes....how can I convert it to pcap format at runtime...?

I don't think wireshark will be able to read hex dump from the pipe interface.

-satish

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Sam Roberts wrote:

> Maybe we'll try this sometime. I'm not sure how rich the pcap
> interface is, there is some information, such as channel to listen on,
> that needs to be known in order to capture.

The current pcap interface splits the process of starting a live
capture into:

       a call to create a capture handle;

       various calls to set various properties on the handle;

       a call to activate the handle.

There is currently not a call to set a channel on which to capture,
but at some point one will be added to handle 802.11; such a call
could be used on other network types.