Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Multiple DTMF 2833

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:43:57 +0200
Hi,

If you look at RFC 2833 you'll see it's a funny protocol.
First of all it pins the RTP timestamp. Then it start to add up time intervals in its payload, for the time the event takes (unknown up front), regularly sending out RTPevent packets to keep the receiver going. Then at the end of the RTP event a repeated 'end of event' packet is usual. After that normal RTP flow, with correctly advanced timestamp, resumes. It might even flow in parallel.

As you see a single DTMF key press doesn't correspond to a single RTPevent packet.

Thanx,
Jaap

Ujjval Karihaloo wrote:
I see multiple DTMFs in Wireshark (although it was pressed only once), tracing using tcpdump on my asterisk server. Actual packets also are multiple (19 � 20 I believe) with same DTMF tone = 1.

DTMF seems to work OK, but it is difficult to troubleshoot when actual DTMF related problems occur.