Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] capturing IP messages between applications running on the

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:57:39 -0800

On Jan 30, 2009, at 1:08 AM, Satish Chandra wrote:

you can specify the network interface as "psuedo-device :any"

Only if the PC is running Linux.  He didn't say what OS it was running.

If you are using loopback address for communication then selecting "lo" - loopback address will also do.

Only if the PC is running Linux. If it's running other UN*Xes, it might be "lo0", rather than "lo" (*BSD, Mac OS X, some others), or it might not work at all (e.g., on Solaris you can't capture on the loopback device). If it's running on Windows, there is no "lo" or "lo0" device.