Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Can Anyone Tell Me What the HELL is Going on with My Captu

From: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:43:31 -0800
> TCP segmentation offloading?

Hmmm... then why a bunch of 4K frames, I wonder, instead of one big 30K
frame? Must be a configurable kernel parameter?

Also, my CPU is 95% idle most of the time and really never peaks above
30%, so I'm not sure why I would even want TSO enabled, since its
primary purpose is to save the CPU from having to perform the
segmentation. To me, it just adds a layer of logical comlexity to the
captures.

>From a throughput standpoint, I'm not sure what good TSO does either,
because any way you slice it, you're still limited by the PMTU, right?
So if CPU time is ample, what does TSO buy you?

--Eric

Disclaimer - January 30, 2009
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Community support list for Wireshark. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.