Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] DNS Working but can't connect to anything

From: staedtlerx <staedtlerx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:34:49 -0500
Hi everyone - thank you for your help and patience - specially since this is not a generic "Internet Connection Tech Support" list!
I'd like to outline steps I've already taken, in order to clear up any confusion (please also see update below):

- inspection with Wireshark, NetMon, Process Explorer and Process Monitor
- compare all my settings on working connection to non-working connection
- rebooting several times
- reset winsock
- clear dns cache
- try everything in safe mode
- disable all firewalls and security software
- connect directly to my cable modem
- hard-code OpenDNS servers for DNS settings
- disable net bios
- temporarily disable "DNS Client" in services
- delete a lot of registry keys related to winsock and netbios
- delete all winsock LSPs (through 3rd-party tool)
- run various winsock resetting tools (Microsoft and 3rd-party)

AND last but not least! :
Last night I did a Windows repair install, which I guess attempts to delete all system files and replace them with the ones on the CD. Took about an hour so it would seem that a lot of things were reinstalled. However, the connections are still not fixed. This leads me to believe there must be some third-party module that is corrupted (or malware) sticking around somewhere and getting in the way. Anyone know of any other debugging/tracing tools that might be used to track this sucker down? (I really don't want to have to completely reinstall - it's a real pain with all the custom drivers on these vaios!)