Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Link quality tests/analysis?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:24:02 -0800

On Jan 27, 2009, at 4:00 PM, gdonts wrote:

i've had similar with WAN connections where I can't install software at either endpoint, only on my end, so was looking for a way to troubleshoot/analyse the connection.

what you suggest in B) is done by a handy windows app

...unless you're not running Windows (whether natively or in a virtual machine) and don't have WINE, in which case it's obviously not done with a Windows app. :-)

A quick google for

	pingplotter linux

(using "linux" as a proxy for "UN*X") found

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/m-ping

and

	http://cacti.net/

(although not directly); others may exist.

I haven't used any of them, or Pingplotter, so I can't say how well they work relative to Pingplotter, or offer advice on the use of Pingplotter; I can just offer an alternative for those who aren't running Windows.

i'd imagine in theory wireshark could do some/all of it for you,

Some, not all - Wireshark doesn't ping (and isn't intended to ping), and...

but i'm not sure it'd be easy to get the data out.

...and that's the other thing - Wireshark currently doesn't match up ICMP Echo requests and responses (unless somebody added it while I wasn't watching), so it wouldn't be easy to get ping times out of it.