Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] capture Q931 protocol

From: "Gopalakrishnan A.N" <saigop@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:11:01 +0530
The file that I have sent is captured from E1 line through a E1 tapping system. But is there any format that to identify D channels and B channels seperately. I am trying lot of google but not able to find any good material.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:30 AM, Gopalakrishnan A.N wrote:

>    thanks for the reply, the sample data captured is attached with
> this mail. Its they call as G711 data.

G.711 is an audio coding standard, so if it's G.711 data, there's no Q.
931 - Q.931 is used for signaling on ISDN (and other forms of digital
telephony), and G.711 is used for audio on various forms of digital
telephony (as well as in, for example, .au files).

So is it Q.931 (containing signaling to set up the call) or is it G.
711 (for the audio of the call)?  The text file seems to show the data
as being divided into variable-length packets, which sounds more like
Q.931 (possibly atop LAPD) rather than G.711 (which doesn't have any
notion of packet boundaries).  However, the packet data doesn't look
too much like Q.931, whether atop LAPD or not.