Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Strange Delta Time

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:24:52 +0100
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:48:12AM -0800, Frank Pall wrote:
>    i am using wireshark 1.0.5 to capture traffic from a program i am writing
>    in VB6.
>    In this program,i need to generate a packet every 10ms,but,during my
>    tests,i am noticing that the Delta Time of each generated packet is about
>    half of the real one (which i print out in the VB debug window).
>    I also monitored the traffic with another software (AnalogX
>    PacketMon),which seems to show a delta time more consistent with the one i
>    can see in my debug session.
>    Am i doing something wrong? Is it related to some wireshark setting?

Were you using a display filter to display only the packets that were
generated by your program? In that case, you might have chosen the
"Delta Time" option for your column. This is the time between the packet
and the packet before this packet in the capture file. If you want to
see the delta time between displayed packets, you need to use "Delta
Time Displayed" instead.

If this is not the case, could you attach a small capture file to your
reply in which this problem is visible? Preferably accompanied by the
timestamps from your debug window.

Cheers,
    Sake