Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark dropping packets? wireshark for xandros?

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:30:56 +1100
Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Hi,
> First one you can check by looking at the statusbar while capturing.
> There you see a count for dropped packets.
>
> Second you can find with google: xandros repository wireshark
>
> Thanx,
> Jaap
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 14 jan 2009, at 06:52, Condor Kim <toothache200873@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:toothache200873@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>> hello i use wireshark 1.0.4. i'm not a experienced user, so pls excuse
>> my basic questions.
>>
>> i notice lately that if i am downloading or uploading (via ftp) a
>> large file, like a video, wireshark will show only the packets of the
>> downloading or uploading. if i happen to visit some webpages while
>> downloading or uploading, the traffic for visiting these webpages
>> won't register or show at all in my wireshark. is this normal? does
>> wireshark drop other packets when it's too busy with one connection?

Might those pages be cached by your browser?

Is this Windows? Does Windows have TOE (TCP Offload Engine) enabled? eg
Broadcom Netxtreme drivers support TOE.

If it does have TOE, depending on how many concurrent TCP sessions are
open you may see none, some, or all of the traffic for individual sessions.

And it was alledged to me yesterday that TOE is known to lose packets.

                -- Dr. Who