Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing 802.11 RSSI and TX Rate Values Using Ubuntu Linu

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:21:05 -0800

On Jan 14, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Tal Rusak wrote:

    Thanks for your reply.
    "Other" are just 802.11 beacons for the most part--none of the
colored packets, UDP, TCP, ect. are showing up anymore.

Are there any hosts on your network other than your host?

Does your machine remain associated with the network when capturing on mon0? If so, then if you try to do some network operations (such as fetching a Web page), does that traffic show up when you're capturing?

    It is possible I updated Ubuntu, maybe even the Kernel. Why would
this make a negative impact?

Updating the kernel might have changed something in the mac80211 layer that would cause problems; I'm not familiar enough with it to say. Updating the driver could possibly break things as well.

The same issue will probably show up if you run tcpdump (as it's probably an issue with the card or the driver or the mac80211 framework), but, just to check, try running "tcpdump -s 0 -i mon0" after doing "ifconfig mon0 up" and see if it prints anything other than beacons.