Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] MS FTP and NTP server

From: Y Z <ommy_ss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:53:44 -0800 (PST)
Hello everyone,

I use MS FTP (the CLI one) to transfer file from my FTP server (IIS). Does anyone know whether the file I download will be cached? I do download the same file over and over again. I run Wireshark at both server and client, it shows packets being transferred everytime I download, so I assume the file is not cached and I get fresh file from the server. Am I correct?

My second concern is, is it necessary for me to sychronize my FTP server and client via NTP server for example. My server is not for commercial use but I do carry out packet data analysis. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I can trace the packets through their sequence numbers, the timing difference between server and client does not bother me much. Is synchronization an issue that will affect say, RTT or throughput?

Thanks in advance for all your feedbacks.