Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Newbie Q - Displaying TCP data content in a column..

From: Kevin Hawkins <wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:41:37 +0000
Apologies - I'm not very technical but I'm trying to display a new column that just shows the TCP data content of a conversation between two devices. The data is in plain ASCII.

I have setup filters for the IP's involved and if I select individual packess I can see the data in the hierarchical message dissection view below under the data heading. If I click on the latter part of that data in the hex/ascii pane it kindly highlights just the readable character portion of that data discarding what I assume is earlier binary header info. This highlighted text is exactly the info I want to see listed in a column against each packet , rather than having to examine each message individually - and even better to filter out all messages not containing such data. I'm sure this must be an easy one , and I've looked for a 'data' column type but there isn't one. Is there an easy way to do this ? Unfortunately I'm not upto writing any C or Lua code....

 Chris