Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] writing some text to Tshark output file

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:45:00 +0100
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 02:44:07 -0800 (PST) Maryam Homayouni wrote:
>Hi Joan,
>thank you for your response, I have some more questions on your command,
>1 Is "-r *.cap" necessary
No, only when you want to use an inputfile.

>or I can capture or display online traffic?
You can use -w or > to set an output filename.
If you do not define an output filename, the output is send to the screen.

>2 If for xample I need to log SIP traffic, can I use the options exist in

>this column.c
>file or I must add some things more? I mean isn't there any need to use
-T
>or -e options to log for example specific sip packet's field which I am

>interested in?
I thought you were only looking for frame number and (delta)time.
Does the following suit your needs?
Sample capture: sip_dtmf2.cap
http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures#head-6f6128a524888c86ee322aa7cbf0d7b7a8fdf353
$ tshark -r sip_dtmf2.cap -R sip.display.info -T fields -e frame.number -e
frame.time_delta -e sip.display.info -E header=y
frame.number    frame.time_delta        sip.display.info
1       0.000000000     \"2503\"
2       0.000639000     2503
3       0.031547000     \"2503\"
4       9.968255000     \"2502\"
5       0.001292000     2502
6       0.031611000     \"2502\"
7       25.969412000    2502
8       0.000434000     2502
9       0.016668000     2502
10      0.004848000     2502
11      3.978279000     \"2504\"
12      0.000491000     2504
<snip>

For a live capture:
$ tshark -i 2 -R "sip.display.info" -T fields -e frame.number -e frame.time_delta
-e sip.display.info -E header=y
frame.number    frame.time_delta        sip.display.info

>3 and finally it does not seed that I can write the fields' names beside
>values? I mean you log some parameters and set their place in your output
>file, but can I write my desired field name for each of parameters logged?
AFAIK you can only use the option -E header=y|n, when -T fields are selected.

HTH
Joan