Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] question

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:22:20 -0700

On Sep 24, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Terry Martin wrote:

I was able to bring the file over but Wireshark can read the file.

(Presumably you mean "Wireshark *can't* read the file".)

How did you collect the packets? If you didn't use "-w" with TShark (or dumpcap or tcpdump), i.e., if the file is a text file with dissected packets, Wireshark can't read that as a capture file.

If you collected it with "-w", how did you bring the file over? If the program you used has an "ASCII vs. binary" option for file transfer, you need to select binary mode.