Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 802.15.4 Decode

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:06:55 -0700

On Sep 23, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Colin O'Flynn wrote:

Yes - I can see how the first one is a lot less work! It appears to be just
adding the line:

	dissector_add("ethertype",  ETHERTYPE_802154, ieee802154_handle);

Which does seem quite easy. However - would such a thing be accepted by the
Wireshark developers?

If ETHERTYPE_802154 hasn't been assigned by the IEEE, it probably wouldn't be. In that case, you should probably make it a preference setting, so that it can be changed if, for example, the IEEE assigns to some other purpose the Ethernet type you're using.