Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 802.15.4 Decode

From: Colin O'Flynn <coflynn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:54:02 -0300
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response!

> What hardware is that?  And, when you say "routed", to what are you
> referring?

Custom hardware so to say. It's for an open-source project running IPv6 over
802.15.4, which will be fully announced friday. Right now we are using other
802.15.4 sniffers to debug, but it would be nice to use wireshark.

The actual hardware is a USB device with an Atmel micro and 802.15.4 radio. It
is programmed to appear as an ethernet interface, so you can pass IP packets
between the PC and over the air. That works fine, including on Wireshark ;-)

However I also put in a "raw" mode, which gives you the 802.15.4 packets
without being decoded. I can send them however I want over the interface -
aka right now I put on 14 bytes that is the ethernet header. There is no need
for me to do this, I could send just the 802.15.4 data.

>  If that data path can be made
> to just pass raw 802.15.4 packets, with no encapsulation, and with a
> DLT_ value of DLT_IEEE802_15_4 (195), it might be possible to have
> Wireshark read those packets without any change.

As above - yes I can send raw packets. The physical "interface" is ethernet
though, but it would have no ethernet header.

Would that work, and where do I find more information about the DLT value?
Just googling "DLT_" isn't as useful, lots of other acronyms seem to have
this ;-) And most importantly how do I get that set...

Regards,

  -Colin