Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Empty Capture Interfaces List (Wireshark 1.0.3 & Mac OSX 1

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:25:06 -0700

On Sep 18, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Jason Holtslander wrote:

I've installed Wireshark 1.0.3 on Mac OSX 10.5.5
My "Capture Options" dialog has an empty "Interface" list.

I've checked the F.A.Q. at http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q9.2

First, make sure your account is set up as an administrative account (i.e., that "Allow user to administer" this computer is checked for your entry in the "Accounts" pane of System Preferences).

Then, if you installed from the .dmg we distribute, either:

1) try installing the startup item in the "Startup" directory in the .dmg:

from the command line, do "sudo mkdir -p /Library/StartupItems/ ChmodBPF";

copy the "ChmodBPF" and "StartupParameters.plist" files from the "Startup" directory to the "/Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF" directory;

make sure that all files in "/Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF" are owned by root by doing, from the command line, "sudo chown root / Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF/*";

and then do "sudo Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF/ChmodBPF" - after doing that, anybody with an administrative account will be able to capture with Wireshark - or TShark or dumpcap or tcpdump - as themselves;

or

2) make the dumpcap program set-UID root - if you dragged Wireshark to /Applications (as would happen if you did the drag suggested when the .dmg popped up), do, from the command line:

sudo chown root /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ dumpcap

sudo chmod u+s /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ dumpcap