Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Certificate Request doesn't seem properly displayed

From: "Ryerse, Mike (DIS)" <MikeRy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:56:12 -0700

Good Afternoon,

Wireshark 1.0.3 is displaying a specific SSLv3 packet as “Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake Message”, while Ethereal 1.1.0 displays it as “Change Cipher Spec, Certificate Request[Malformed Packet]”.

Normally I would think the newer software is showing it correctly.  However, I am expecting to see a certificate request somewhere in the capture, but Wireshark is not showing it.  I know it is happening because the web browser (firefox 3.0.1) is prompting me to choose a client certificate.  The server is IIS 6.0.

Is it possible that IIS is sending the certificate request after an SSL session has been established?  Or is Wireshark 1.0.3 incorrectly displaying this packet?

Thanks,

Michael Ryerse