Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Run Wireshark from USB?

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:33:58 +0100
A small problem there - you seem to only be able to install it on a specific brand of USB stick - which I don't have.

I'm not quite certain why it has to be a specific brand of USB stick.

I understand the legal implications, however these are not of great concern at this time.

Ulf Lamping wrote:
Jaap Keuter schrieb:
Hi,

We have a U3 package for that.

Thanx,
Jaap

Q wrote:
Hi, is it possible to run Wireshark from USB? I am asking as I would like to examine a network for which I don't have administrative access. So I can't install WinPcap on a local machine. I can however gain access to a machine on the specific network in question.

Is there some other solution for this?

Yes, we have the U3 package, but IIRC it also (temporarily) installs WinPcap, so if you can't (temporarily) install WinPcap on that machine I guess you're out of luck here.

If you can attach own machine to the network, you can capture on that one. You'll only need physical access (Ethernet uplink), but you won't need a registered IP "normal network access" for that.

But please be careful about the various problems in capture setup (incl. legal issues), please read: http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup

Regards, ULFL