Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Analyzing VM Virtual Switches communicationwith WireShark

From: "Sake Blok" <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:08:46 +0200
Al,

VMware includes 'vmnet-sniffer (at least on my Ubuntu VMware server 2.0 installation). With that you can capture packets on any vmnet interface (bridge). You can then read the packets from the file with wireshark.

If you want a realtime monitoring solution, you need to make sure the vmnet (to which both VMs are connected) is bridged to an interface that libpcap can capture. On my system I have created some vlan-interfaces for my virtual machines and I can capture packets between VMs on the vlan interface (both VMs using the same vmnet connected to that vlan). Actually the VMware bridge behaves more like a hub than a bridge ;-)

Maybe it's even possible to create a special loopback interface for this purpose, but I have not tried that yet.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Sake

----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Aghili" <aaghili@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>