Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] PCMCIA cards for WireShark...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:25:54 -0700

On Sep 9, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Phillip Nelson wrote:
Where can I find a list of supported PCMCIA cards for Wireshark?

Wireshark has no notion of "supported hardware", as it relies on other software (libpcap/WinPcap) to talk to the networking hardware.
I'm running Windows XP

For Windows, WinPcap, in turn, relies on the NDIS framework in the OS, and on the driver for the hardware.

There is a list that a third party maintains of WinPcap support for various network adapters:

	http://www.micro-logix.com/WinPcap/Supported.asp

Their list is at least partly based on user submissions. However, for at least a couple of the adapters I looked at, the site doesn't seem to indicate whether promiscuous mode is supported.

See also

	http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

which refers you to that list.