Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problem running Wireshark on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2

From: Christian MacNevin <christian.macnevin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 13:11:35 -0700
Um, this may sound stupid, but why not just put the missing stuff back in the package? Was it prohibitively bulky or something?

On Sep 4, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Ian Schorr wrote:
@Stig:

Just download the 1.0.0 and 1.0.2 DMGs, look at the contents of the .App
files, and compare the differences.  You'll notice that 1.0.0 contains
libraries like libpng12.0.dylib and libXrandr.2.dylib (which at least my
system require for some reason), but the 1.0.2 bundle doesn't contain
either (and several other files).

Is it possible that the act of not overwriting certain libraries also
meant that they weren't included in the Application bundle when it was
built, for some reason?

The 1.0.0 .dmg was built on a system using MacPorts, and the 1.0.2 .dmg was
built using Fink, which may be the reason for this.

We should probably take a look at Imendio's "Ige Mac Bundler":
http://ftp.imendio.com/pub/imendio/ige-mac-bundler/, which is supposed to
sidestep issues like this by compiling its own GTK+ environment.

@Christian:
You can download all versions of the OS X Wireshark build at
http://www.wireshark.org/download/osx/all-versions/ .  1.0.0 is there.

I'll try 1.0.3 when I get home to see if it works any differently (I
only have PPC at work). The libraries are still "missing" from it, though.

There haven't been any changes to the OS X packaging environment between 1.0.2
and 1.0.3.