Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Database Protocol support

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:43:04 +0200
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 03:42:32PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> > I had a question regarding the DB protocols supported by tshark. I
> > saw mysql support but is there also support for other protocols for
> > queries to Oracle or DB2?
>
> I have the impression that Oracle uses a protocol that Wireshark calls
> "TNS" (Transparent Network Substrate); that protocol is dissected by
> Wireshark/TShark.
>
> Wireshark/TShark also dissect a protocol called DRDA (Distributed
> Relational Database Architecture); a comment in the DRDA dissector says:
>
> *  DRDA in a nutshell
> *
> *   DRDA stands for Distributed Relational Database Architecture.
> *   It is a protocol between database client and database server
> published by
> *   the Open Group (www.opengroup.org) DDM (Distributed Data
> Management) is an
> *   data management interface which allows to exchange structured data
> between
> *   systems.  DRDA is specific to relational databases and uses a
> subset of DDM
> *   to transport its data.  The IBM DB2 product uses the DRDA protocol
> from
> *   version V8.  Unless negotiated differently during the handshake,
> the fields
> *   of the DDM commands and reply messages are in EBCDIC.
> *
> *   Documentation:
> *       DRDA Version 3 Vol. 3: Distributed Relational Database
> Architecture,
> *       Open Group.
> *   Reference for Remote DRDA Requesters and Servers, IBM.

We also have the SOURCES for a dissector that probably contains all the
interesting information. The files are epan/dissectors/packet-sqloracle.[hc]

The sources don't build with current Wireshark but if someone wants to use
the knowledge to create an Oracle dissector, it's there.

The file starts with the following comment:

/* packet-sqloracle.c
 * Routines for SQL ORcle packet dissection
 *
 * The initial Wireshark version of this file was imported from the
 * ClearSight source code package.
 * No author/copyright given in the original file.

 Ciao
      Joerg