Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problem with tshark -e and ICMP unreachable packets

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 03:31:12 +0200
Workarround: disable icmp, that way the "second" IP header disappears.
filter for icmp elements using "frame[offset:length] ==
bytes_in_packet" instead of "icmp.xxx == XXX".

I'm on having -e to use an {N} operator to choose a given instance of
a field. E.g. ip.src{0} or ip.src{0} depends... (I'm not sure whether
it should use a 0-based or a 1-based index).

For the display filters that and more are coming... The "/" ("over" or
better "after") operator is on the works too... so that ip.src/icmp
would be the one ip.src after icmp (the "nested" one).

You just make me notice (with excellent timing) that we need also an
"under" or better "before" operator ( "*" ? ) so that  "ip.src*icmp"
refers to the ip.src before icmp (that is you could filter
"ip.src/icmp.unreachable == router_ip" and use "ip.src{0?}" for -e).

 to filter the encapsulated packet and the {N} operator will be there
to choose a given instance of the header (the first): either ip.src{0}
or ip.src{1}... to be discussed ).