Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Betr: Re: Reassembly of HTTP packets

From: Daniel Gramsch <dagra@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:08:25 +0200
Hello Joan, hello Abhik,

thanks for your guidance. I think your proposals can help me so far.

@ Joan

I did already found the proposed column option:

"You can use in T|Wireshark a display filter: tcp.segments.
This gives you an overview of which packets contain Reassembled TCP Segments.
Packet Details (middle pane) shows you the frame numbers and payload.
"

But your proposal below seems not to work with my wireshark installation (1.0.2) under WinXP. It just filters out the reassembled packet,
not the single fragments. May be it will work, when switching to my linux installation ;-).

Choose a frame number you want to work on.
Next you can use display filter: tcp.reassembled_in==[frame number]. Edit > Mark All Packets Note: don' forget to mark the frame with the reassembled PDU as well, because this packet is not included in the selection.
Save the marked packets.

However, I think I can "work around" this manually and with the help of some scripting when exporting the reassembled packets and parsing and removing/editing the according entries in my list. Thanks a lot again!

Greetings,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

You can use in T|Wireshark a display filter: tcp.segments.
This gives you an overview of which packets contain Reassembled TCP Segments.
Packet Details (middle pane) shows you the frame numbers and payload.

Choose a frame number you want to work on.
Next you can use display filter: tcp.reassembled_in==[frame number]. Edit > Mark All Packets Note: don' forget to mark the frame with the reassembled PDU as well, because this packet is not included in the selection.
Save the marked packets.

Somehow display filter tcp.reassembled_in doesn't work in Tshark and I cann't
figure out why ;-(

Next you can use Tshark|awk to show you the frame numbers, frame length and
total.
$ tshark -r yourfile.cap -T fields -e frame.number -e frame.len | awk
'sum = sum + $2;END { print "Total: " sum }'
Output:
1       1514
2       1514
3       1514
 snip
35      1514
36      1514
37      1021
Total: 55525

===
Export Selected Packet Bytes....

Display filter tcp.segments
Select the packet which contents you want to save.

Look in Packet Details (middle pane) "Line-based text data: text/html.
Note: the description depends on the kind of data
p.e. 	Compuserve GIF, Version: GIF 89a
Media Type
Select the line; right-click, choose Export Selected Packet Bytes...
and save as... (depending on kind of data)

Hope this helps somehow ;-)
Joan