Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] wireshark installation path relocation - Linux

From: "Ed Hourigan" <edh007@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:37:59 -0400

Hello –

I want to know if it is possible to relocate a wirshark installation to a different path ( and perhaps different machine ) after doing a “make install”.

Basically I want to do this

Un-tar wireshark source

Run ./configure –prefix=/home/joeuser/wireshark

make

make install

cd /home/joeuser

tar –cvf wrs.tar ./wireshark

copy tar file ( wrs.tar)  to another system and install it at say /home/bobuser/wireshark

On the first system, I am not allowed to have root so I cannot install under /usr/local  but I must build on this system since it has all the tools, libraries, etc

Needed by wireshark to build.

But I need to run wireshark on the second system.  This system however doesn’t have the tools, etc, to build wireshark.

I am using wireshark 1.0.0 and Linux ( Fedora Core ).

Thanks.

Ed -