Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Large TCP packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:21:35 -0700

On Jun 25, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Martin Andersson wrote:

I have a capture with very large tcp packets (it's a ftp session). My concern is that I can't see any IP fragments.

Perhaps either

1) there aren't any - if this is gigabit Ethernet, it might be using jumbo frames:

		http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo_Frame

or

2) the network adapter on the machine doing the capture is doing IP fragment reassembly and passing simulated jumbo frames to the host

or

3) the network adapter on the machine is doing TCP segmentation offloading on the receive side and passing simulated jumbo frames to the host.