Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP retransmit, HTTP and web page not loading

From: Steve Bertrand <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:40:50 -0400
Frank Bulk wrote:
Do the fiber and ADSL connections use different IPs?  Sometimes there are
subnet/block-specific issues that cause the problems you describe.

Yes, they have different IP's.

Can you try from the fiber connection on a different block?

Well, I could, however if I bring the same laptop back to my office and 'bypass' the fibre link, give the laptop the same IP as the site on the other end of the fibre has (after disconnecting the fibre link), it works fine.

I know that this is due to a problem somewhere between here and the remote site, but I haven't found out what. I'm quite confident it's not an IP/routing issue, per the test above, and the fact that this is literally the one and only HTTP site they have problems with (at least so far).

Although I can't tell for certain, I keep thinking it has to do with the retransmission. However, even after reviewing each frame, I'm not knowledgeable enough at that level as to understand why the retran is happening, whether the packets are ultimately received (not knowledgeable enough....yet, that is ;)

Steve