Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Does Wireshark support MP4 payload decoding?

From: "Javier Gálvez Guerrero" <javier.galvez.guerrero@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:36:57 +0200
Hi all,

I have searched for this issue in the archive but the question was not answered yet, so here I am.

I would like to know if Wireshark does support MP4 packets decoding. I am using version 1.0.0 in an Ubuntu Linux 2.6.24-17. I am also using VideoLAN VLC on the VOD server side and on the player client side. I have tried with originally mp4 encoded videos, on-the-fly decoded ones from MPEG-1 and with elementary video streams. They work perfectly (I can stream and watch the videos) but when I try to decode the UDP/RTP packets with Wireshark the payload is marked as unknown. With MPEG-1 it works properly as soon as I have tested.

So, has anyone succeed in decoding the RTP payload for a MP4 stream (if not with VLC, with which streaming software?)?

Thank you all,
Javi