Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How can I see protocol number instead of protocol name

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 17:43:25 +0200
On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 05:52:55PM +0300, Ian Brown wrote:

> I am not talking about wireshark GUI, but about running tethereal from
> the terminal.
> Like:
>  tethereal -R udp port 5002

tethereal is *really* old, please use tshark ;-)

Have a look at the "tshark -h" output and you will find:

  -n                       disable all name resolutions (def: all enabled)
  -N <name resolve flags>  enable specific name resolution(s): "mntC"

This will overrule the setting in the preferences file in your
wireshark folder (usually /home/<user>/.wireshark/preferences).
You can of course also change the preferences file directly instead
of using the preferences menu from Wireshark (which you are not able
to do since you connect through ssh). Look for the "name_resolve"
preference...

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
    Sake