Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark via xdmcp painfully slow.

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:41:23 -0700
chris wrote:

I have an Ubuntu Server (8.04) installed and running xubuntu-desktop
to get a gui on it.  Its a VM under ESX 2.5 server.

When I log on the console and run wireshark it takes a couple seconds
and its up and running.

When I log on via xdmcp (using xming)

Googling for xming finds

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming

which indicates that it's an X server for Windows, so presumably the machine from which you're logging on to the Ubuntu server is a Windows machine.

and run it, I gave up after an
hour an only 40% on the Registering Dissector.... window.

What happens if you run strace against Wireshark, to see what it's doing? Is the process still running?

I'm leaning towards a wireshark/xdmcp not playing well together.

xdmcp is probably out of the way by the time Wireshark's running. It's probably either an issue with GTK+ and xming, or something unrelated to X.