Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] wireshark via xdmcp painfully slow.

From: chris <lostpkts@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:48:26 -0500
I'm having an interesting issue and I'm not exaclty sure where to look at.

I have an Ubuntu Server (8.04) installed and running xubuntu-desktop
to get a gui on it.  Its a VM under ESX 2.5 server.

When I log on the console and run wireshark it takes a couple seconds
and its up and running.

When I log on via xdmcp (using xming) and run it, I gave up after an
hour an only 40% on the Registering Dissector.... window.

The VMs are scattered all over the network at the remote offices, and
our OC3+ backbone are hardly being used.  As mentioned, using the
console of the VM remotely is zippy so I don't think this is a network
issue.  I'm leaning towards a wireshark/xdmcp not playing well
together.

Does anyone have any pointers on what could be the issue?

Thanks