Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark error

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:45:20 -0700

On May 13, 2008, at 1:12 PM, miguel olivares varela wrote:

Thanks for yours answers, but i used the same command line of tshark for windows and it works that is why i was surprised that it didn't work over linux.

Perhaps Linux is implementing that annoying "sorry, unless you explicitly say you're large-file aware, I'm not going to let you open a file bigger than 2GB" feature from the Large File Summit, while Windows isn't doing so (I suspect Microsoft wasn't involved in the Large File Summit as they're not a UN*X company any more).

It might be possible to add *partial* support for large files - i.e., support for sequential access to those files - with the right large file support voodoo in the configure script (assuming I did the right voodoo for libpcap 1.0, that might be transplantable to the Wireshark configure script). Support for random access is a bit more work, especially when supporting gzipped files (although random access to large gzipped files is rather sucky right now anyway) - and I'm not sure what APIs Windows offers in its standard I/O routines for large files.