Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] decoding packet data payload?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 23:03:54 -0700
Malcolm Herbert wrote:

In this case it seems that there's a 1:1 relationship between HDLC frame
and TCP packet,

If, for any protocol running atop TCP, there is a 1:1 relationship between a TCP segment and a packet for that protocol, it should be assumed to be the result of pure luck - there is no guarantee that a TCP implementation will preserve packet boundaries for a protocol running atop it, so *anything* reading packets out of a TCP data stream, whether it's a dissector for a network analyzer such as Wireshark *or* if it's an implementation of the protocol reading from a TCP socket, should not assume that each chunk of TCP data it gets handed corresponds to one and only one packet.

actually this seems to be the most feasible - I already have most of the
code to do this bit already. Is there any documentation to tell me what
format Wireshark expects data to be in on stdin?

libpcap format - either use pcap_dump_open() and pcap_dump() in libpcap, or see

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LibpcapFileFormat