Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Filtering / Exporting Fields of a Protocol

From: "Barry Constantine" <Barry.Constantine@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 13:19:00 -0700

Hello All,

I am pretty familiar with the various ways to display filter packets based upon the fields within the packets (i.e. tcp.rst, ip.addr, etc..).

I also have used command tshark to perform this filtering as well as iostat type output.

The question I have: is there a way to only extract the fields within the packet and export to text file?

Right now, I do basic packet filtering at the command line tshark and output to plain text file.  Then I wrote a simple perl script to further filter out the fields of interest.

I just wanted to make sure I did not miss an easier way to do this in Wireshark.

I thought of iostat, but I am not interested in various statistics over time intervals; I just need the raw data from certain fields so that we can manipulate in a spreadsheet.

Thanks,

Barry