Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Netgear wn511t card, (Marvell chipset)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:22:55 -0700
Rob MacKenzie wrote:

With this card, is it possible to capture 802.11n traffic in a monitor like mode, in windows or linux? We need to see traffic going between 3 other wireless devices, not traffic to the laptop running Wireshark.

In Windows, it's likely only to be possible on Windows Vista, and then only if the driver supports the "Native 802.11" mechanism in Vista, including monitor-mode support - and, in that case, it'll work with Microsoft Network Monitor but *not* with Wireshark, as WinPcap doesn't support the Native 802.11 stuff.

Some Googling for

	netgear wn511t linux

found some references to ndiswrapper, which suggests that there might not be a native Linux driver; if there isn't one, monitor mode won't be supported on Linux.

CACE Technologies has an AirPcap N adapter:

	http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap-n.htm

that could be used on Windows to capture 802.11n traffic with WinPcap-based applications such as Wireshark. Note that it's a CardBus adapter (not a USB adapter), and costs USD 598.00. It doesn't act as a network adapter, so you can only use it to passively capture traffic; you can't use it as your regular adapter.